Charlton Athletic celebrated the 25th anniversary of its iconic return to The Valley and the creation of its award-winning Community Trust during the 2017/18 campaign.
The club commemorated both anniversaries during the season through a series of special events, which also helped to raise funds for the local community.
Headed up by the independent Back To The Valley committee - which consists of 12 members, including Charlton legend Keith Peacock and CACT CEO Jason Morgan – a charity concert, fundraising dinner, charity match and more were held throughout the season.
December 5th 1992 will always hold a special place in the hearts of all Charlton supporters. After a seven-year exile away from The Valley, the Addicks played their first match back at home and toasted it by beating Portsmouth 1-0.
Twenty-five years on and the club looked forward to marking one of the most important dates in its history in the best way it could.
Our first home fixture in December 2017 was dedicated to our Back to The Valley celebrations and Charlton’s first team played the game in a one-off, commemorative strip, designed by the club’s kit manufacturer, hummel®.
All the members of the anniversary committee can be seen below:
- Sir Stuart Etherington: Chief Executive of the National Council for Voluntary Organisations. He is Chairman of the Patron's Fund, a former Chair of the University of Greenwich and a Charlton supporter
- Lord Michael Grade: Former Chief Executive of Channel 4 and Chairman of the BBC. A former Director of Charlton Athletic Football Club
- Jason Morgan: CEO of Charlton Athletic Community Trust, started the community programme in 1992
- Keith Peacock: Charlton’s record outfield appearance holder, club legend, former coach and now Club Ambassador
- Paul Martin: Retired senior corporate banker as Head of Charities & Social Enterprise at The Co-operative Bank and long-term season ticket holder in the Covered End
- Chris Parkes: Club Secretary at Charlton Athletic who has been working at the club since 1988
- Paul Statham: Ex Director of Charlton Athletic Football Club and now Trustee of Charlton Athletic Community Trust
- Steve Sutherland: Former Commercial Director of Charlton Athletic Football Club and Marketing Executive at the EFL
- Sharron Sherress: Administrator for Valley Gold with links to Charlton Athletic Football Club since 2004
- Paul Palmer: Professor in Voluntary Sector Management at City, University of London. Charlton season ticket holder with his father and two sons
- Sue Townsend: Ex supporter representative on Charlton Board of Directors and member of the Sam Bartram statue committee