Skip to main content

U18S REPORT | Charlton 4 Leeds United 4

Posted: Wed 17 Aug 2016
Author: George Jones

Addicks race into four-goal lead but are pegged back to share the spoils on the opening day

George Jones reports

Charlton’s U18s were ultimately left disappointed on the opening-day of their season as they were held to a thrilling 4-4 draw by Leeds United at Sparrows Lane.

An impressive first-half display saw Sergei Baltacha’s side – national champions of Professional Development League 2 South – race into a 4-0 lead.

They were unable to hold onto the advantage, however, as United rallied after the break and fought back to take a share of the spoils.

The Addicks went in front with just four minutes played. A great switch of play from Brendan Sarpong-Wiredu set Jordan Zeumra free on the left flank. A broke into the box and cut back from Taylor Maloney, who fired into the bottom corner from 18 yards.

It was two shortly afterwards. Alex Willis latched onto a mistake in the Leeds backline and raced clear before slotted home from the edge of the box.

Alfie Doughty netted a third when he picked out the bottom corner, via the inside of the post, on 36 minutes and Willis added his second a just before the break when he headed in from Sulaiman Bah’s free-kick.

It looked rosey for Charlton at the break but Leeds quickly pulled one back at the beginning of the second half. Following a foul by Sarpong-Wiredu inside the box, Mallik Wilks converted from 12 yards.

He struck again two minutes before the hour mark, and it again came from the penalty spot.

Jamie Shackleton rounded off a great tea move from the visitors to reduce the deficit to just one and they got their leveler 10 minutes from time when Ryan Ferguson followed in a powerful strike from Wilks.

Charlton: Maynard-Brewer, Bangura-Williams (Dempsey 85), Pollard, Simpson, Zemura, Sarpong-Wiredu, Maloney, Morgan, Doughty, Bah (Fowler 76), Willis.

Subs (not used): Prall, Nwosu, Isiaka.

Goals: Maloney 4, Willis 13, 44, Doughty 36.