Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Fri 24 Jun 16 at 22:07 PM

Charlton 3 Coventry City 0

Olly Groome reports from The Valley

Charlton earned a second home win of the season, beating Coventry City 3-0 at The Valley on Saturday afternoon. 

Ricky Holmes put the Addicks in front before the break, while Josh Magennnis put in a gut-busting second-half showing to assist Ademola Lookman, before scoring himself as the hosts cruised to three points over the Sky Blues. 

Russell Slade made two changes from the home defeat to Rochdale, reverting to a 4-4-2 formation. 

Goalkeeper Declan Rudd – an ever present in our league campaign so far this season - retained his place between the posts. 

Chris Solly came back into the team following an injury to skipper the side from right-back, supported by central defenders Patrick Bauer and Jason Pearce, and left-back Morgan Fox. 

Fredrik Ulvestad and Andrew Crofts occupied the engine room, while Holmes and Lookman were deployed out wide and Northern Ireland international Magennis joined Lee Novak in providing the attacking threat.

With play immediately halted after kick-off due to a large number of small, foam pigs thrown onto the pitch by protesting supporters, it was not until the sixth minute when play was able to truly get under way. 

The Addicks made a bright start to proceedings, earning a couple of early corners – one of which saw Bauer’s header take a deflection before bouncing off the left-hand upright. 

A good move in the 20th minute saw Lookman and Holmes both toy with the Sky Blues’ defence before the youngster fired at goal from just inside the box. His effort came straight across the path of Novak, who looked to divert it into the back of the net, but stopper Lee Burge got down to make the save. 

At the other end, Coventry’s first opening came via Ruben Lameiras, who burst into the box on the right-hand side and, perhaps, should have done better than to smash his shot into the side-netting. 

Just past the half-hour mark, the visitors evened up the score on the woodwork stakes, with Lameiras sending a much better-looking effort against the post from 20 yards, out of the reach of Rudd. 

But just moments later, it was the Addicks who took the lead through Holmes’ third goal of the season, taking advantage of some sloppy defending courtesy of Coventry. 

Ulvestad lobbed a hopeful ball back into the box which caught the defence napping, and the hard-working winger was able to bring it down with just Burge to beat and poke the ball home. 

The hosts ended the half on the front foot with a goal advantage and, three minutes before the break, the hosts put together another good move down the right-hand side which very nearly resulted in a second. 

Holmes looked to turn provider, sending in a low, bending cross into the path of the advancing Magennis. Any touch on the edge of the six-yard box would surely have sent the ball over the line, but the striker just couldn’t stretch enough, missing out on that killer touch be a matter of millimeters. 

Coventry emerged for the second half on the front foot and Rudd was forced into two very good saves in the 51st minute. 

First, the stopper got down low to keep out a powerful effort from just outside the box, before the Norwich City loanee had to quickly get back onto his feet to superbly claw Chris McCann’s deflected effort out of the top left-hand corner. 

In truth, the Addicks spent much of the first 15 minutes of the second period on the back foot, but sprung into life in the 61st minute when Novak broke free of a defender, but with just Burge standing in his way, he fired straight at the goalkeeper from a narrow angle. 

Charlton slowly began to regain comfort, with Solly firing testing the Sky Blues stopper with a well-hit first-time volley, while Burge pulled off an outstanding save to keep out Magennis’ header from Holmes’ set-piece delivery with 15 left on the clock. 

But it would not be long before Slade’s men would get themselves some breathing room, plundering their second in the 79th minute thanks to some trademark Magennis hard work. 

The striker did fantastically well to hound down Jordan Turnbull in the right-hand corner of the pitch,and with defender making a pig’s ear of matters, he won possession against all odds before bounding into the box and laying the ball on the plate for Lookman who stroked home from close range. 

Seven minutes later, Charlton very nearly netted a carbon copy goal to make it three. Once again, Magennis won possession in the corner, got into the box and pulled the ball back for Lookman, but this time, the youngster blazed his effort over. 

It mattered not, however, as match of the match Magennis would get on the scoresheet himself with two minutes remaining. 

Ulvestad was the provider for the second time of the afternoon, chipping a ball over the top which the Northern Irishman took down impressively, before keeping a cool head and sending a deft finish over Burge to round off the scoring and secure a 3-0 victory in SE7. 

It was certainly a welcome three points for the Addicks, and a first win in eight league games with all sights now set on Tuesday’s trip to Port Vale as Slade’s men look to start climbing the League One table. 

Charlton: Rudd, Solly, Bauer, Pearce, Fox, Crofts, Ulvestad, Holmes (Hanlan 86), Lookman, Novak (Jackson 72), Magennis.

Subs (not used): Phillips, Chicksen, Lennon, Konsa, Ajose.

Goals: Holmes 32, Lookman 78, Magennis 88

Booked: Holmes (83) foul on Bigirimana

Coventry City: Burge, Sterry, Willis (Jones 66), Turnbull, Page (Ricketts 24), Stevenson, McCann, Bigirimana, Lameiras, Wright (Reid 66), Sordell.

Subs (not used): Charles-Cook, Gadzhev, Tudgay, Agyei.

Booked: McCann 41 (foul on Lookman)

Referee: Darren Deadman

Att: 11,406 (1,387 from Coventry)

    Latest Match Reports