Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 06 Aug 16 at 17:01 PM

Bury 2 Charlton 0

Olly Groome reports from Gigg Lane

Charlton fell to a 2-0 loss at the hands of Bury at Gigg Lane on opening day.

After a tight first half, the Addicks came out stronger in the second, but fell behind to Neil Danns’ penalty with 19 minutes left on the clock.

And by the time Kelvin Etuhu bundled a second over the line for the hosts in the dying minutes, it was too late for the Londoners to stage a comeback as the season began with disappointment.

Manager Russell Slade named seven debutants as every one of the Addicks’ summer signings started against the Shakers.

Declan Rudd took his place between the sticks, while fellow midweek arrival Jason Pearce started in the centre of defence.

Ricky Holmes slotted in on the right of midfield, Kevin Foley partnered Andrew Crofts in the centre of the park and there was good news in attack with Lee Novak passed fit to play alongside Nicky Ajose despite the striker suffering from a fractured hand.

Meanwhile, the substitutes’ bench was made up exclusively of academy products, including Brandon Hanlan who was part of a League matchday squad for the very first time and emerged from the bench late on to make his professional bow.

After an extremely cagey opening period, it took 18 minutes before either side had a site at goal and it was the hosts who fired the first shot when Jacob Mellis send a 25-yard piledriver whistling just past the left-hand upright.

And it was not until the 22nd minute that Charlton carved out their first half-chance with Ajose holding play up well before crossing to Crofts on the edge of the box, who sliced a half-volley wide.

The Shakers were finding a bit of space around the box and Mellis tried his luck once more shortly after, hitting the stanchion behind the goal, although Rudd looked to have matters well covered.

Just before the half-hour mark, a sloppy pass out of the bury defence fell to Ajose 25 yards form goal and with plenty of space in front of him. The Bury-born forward picked his spot and set a powerful, low effort towards goal which seemed to move mid-air, wrong-footing Ben Williams, but the keeper recovered to, just about, parry the awkward shot away.

That would be the closest the Addicks would come in a frustrating first-half, leaving the sides to retreat to the dressing room with the scores level at the break.

After the 15-minute recess, it was the Londoners who re-emerged the stronger, seeing a lot more of the ball as they looked to make their mark.

On 54 minutes, Holmes did well to cut into the box before sending in a bullet cross from the byline which bounced back off the crossbar and away from danger, before the tricky wideman saw a shot well blocked moments later.

Six minutes later another good move, this time down the left, saw Morgan Fox deliver a dangerous low ball into the box which was just out of reach of Novak’s outstretched toe in the six-yard box – any kind of touch surely would have put the visitors into the lead.

The 68th minute saw Slade shuffle his pack up front by introducing Ademola Lookman from the bench, with Ajose giving way, but Bury came close to opening the scoring themselves two minutes later when Rudd made a fantastic save to tip Danny Mayor’s goalbound header out for a corner.

And from the resulting set-piece, a Pearce push in the box resulted in the referee pointing to the spot, giving the hosts the chance to go ahead against the run of play.

Up stepped Danns, who did exactly that, tucking his penalty into the bottom left-hand corner to make it 1-0.

With that, Charlton looked to provide an immediate response.

Lookman flashed a dangerous ball into the box from the left with no one there to make the deadly connection, before Johnnie Jackson sent an effort looping over the bar from the edge of the box.

But as the full-time whistle grew nearer, the Addicks struggled to create.

Holmes sent a speculative volley dipping well wide from distance with five minutes left on the clock, and moments later, Bury hit the final nail in Charlton’s opening-day coffin.

A corner delivered from the right was met by a Kelvin Etuhu’s sweeping shot, and although Chris Solly did his best to rescue it on the line, the lineswoman signalled that the ball had crossed the line, sentencing the Londoners to a disappointing 2-0 defeat in Greater Manchester.

Bury: Williams, Jones, Leigh, Kay, Pope, Clark (Ismail 57), Danns, Mellis (Etuhu 74), Soares, Hope (Mayor 57), Cameron.

Subs (not used): Rachubka, Tutte, Brown, Dudley.

Goals: Danns 71 (pen), Etuhu 87

Charlton: Rudd, Solly, Johnson, Pearce, Fox, Holmes, Foley (Hanlan 84), Crofts, Jackson, Novak, Ajose (Lookman 68).

Subs (not used): Phillips, Konsa, Holmes-Dennis, Ahearne-Grant, Muldoon.

Referee: N. Miller

Att: 4,037 (1,015 from Charlton)

    Latest Match Reports