Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 06 Feb 16 at 17:45 PM

Charlton 0 Bristol City 1

Charlton suffered a setback in their bid to achieve Championship survival by losing at home to Bristol City at The Valley on Saturday afternoon. 

A controversial, first-half penalty - won and converted by Lee Tomlin -  proved to be the difference between the sides on an afternoon that was badly affected by blustery conditions. 

The result leaves the Addicks one point away from safety with 16 league matches of the 2015/16 campaign remaining. 

José Riga made one enforced change to the side that performed so well up at Rotherham United last weekend. 

Igor Vetokele picked up an injury in training in midweek and was replaced by Ademola Lookman, who put the gloss on the thumping win at the AESSEAL New York Stadium by scoring his side’s fourth goal. 

The opening chance of the game fell the way of the visitors. Luke Freeman delivered a corner from the right that Aden Flint glanced on, forcing Stephen Henderson into a smart reflex save. 

The loose ball dropped back to Flint, who fired a strike straight at Johnnie Jackson from tight angle, and Charlton were then able to counter. Their attack broke down and possession rolled through to visiting stopper Richard O’Donnell but, as he cleared the ball, he slipped and his clearance just evaded Lookman, who was lurking on the edge of the penalty area. 

Jorge Teixeira sent a looping header towards the far corner that O’Donnell had to back pedal to save. The visitors soon went ahead. 

Harry Lennon stretched well to intercept a high ball forward but it fell for Tomlin who, with a hand of Johann Berg Gudmundsson on his back, threw himself to the ground inside the penalty area. 

Referee Mike Jones immediately pointed to the spot and Tomlin stepped up himself to fire through the arms of Henderson and into the net. 

The Addicks’ goalkeeper made a superb stop on 35 minutes to prevent his side from going two goals behind. Tomlin picked up possession on the left and played in Reid. After he tumbled inside the the box, the ball came back to Tomlin, who crossed for Bobby Reid. 

The midfielder let fly from 10 yards and, after his shot took a huge deflection, Henderson managed to throw up an instinctive arm to push the ball to safety. 

Charlton immediately pushed forward from their let off. A neat dummy from Simon Makienok bought Lookman some space on the left but he was unable to find his strike partner with his low cross into the box. 

Bergdich fired low and into the arms of O’Donnell five minutes into the second period after Gudmundsson had done well to poke the ball into his path. 

A strong overlapping run from Solly then ended with Lookman sending a downwards header into the body of Little that deflected behind for a corner. 

No-one in red was able to get on the end of substitute Reza Ghoochannejhad’s cut-back after some smart movement from the Iranian had bought him some space from a quickly-taken free-kick.

As the game entered its final quarter, Ghoochannejhad again spun off his man to reach Bergdich’s through ball inside the area. A superb tackle from Flint blocked his effort on goal. 

Charlton were presented with a good chance to get themselves level on the 70-minute mark when Ghoochannejhad was bundled over on the edge of the box. 

Gudmundsson stepped up and tried to drill the ball underneath City’s wall and only the toe of a man in black and green stopped it from causing a serious threat to the Robins’ goal. 

At the other end, Baker met Freeman’s deep free-kick with a header that Henderson held and the stopper then got two hands to Marlon Pack’s tame strike. 

Freeman sent an audacious lob towards Henderson goal, which the goalkeeper had to tip over, following a good header from Kieran Agard on the halfway line. 

And the Irishman was again called into action to foil Freeman when he cut in from the left and aimed a powerful strike at goal on 83 minutes. 

The Addicks were unable to carve out any decent openings late on and the visitors held on to take the points.

Charlton: Henderson, Solly, Teixeira, Lennon, Fox (Harriott 78), Gudmundsson, Cousins, Jackson (c) (Ba 85), Bergdich, Makienok, Lookman (Ghoochannejhad 63). 

Subs (not used): Pope, Sarr, Johnson, Poyet. 

Booked: Jackson 75 (persistent fouling), Ba 90+5 (foul on Agard) 

BristolCity: O’Donnell, Little, Flint, Smith, Tomlin (Wilbraham 61), Golbourne, Reid (Wagstaff 66), Freeman, Baker, Pack, Kodjia (Agard 79). 

Subs (not used): Fielding, Williams, Pearce, Burns.

Goals: Tomlin (pen) 21

Booked: Smith 5 (foul on Cousins), Pack 37 (persistent fouling)

Attendance: 14,342 (2,208 away fans)

Referee: M Jones

    Latest Match Reports