Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 07 Nov 15 at 17:40 PM

Charlton 3 Sheffield Wednesday 1

George Jones reports

Charlton secured their first victory in 12 Championship matches by beating Sheffield Wednesday 3-1 at The Valley on Saturday afternoon.

Club captain Johnnie Jackson and Simon Makienok put the Addicks in command before half time, with Reza Ghoochannejhad adding to the scoring in the second period.

Fernando Forestieri pulled one back for Wednesday on 74 minutes but the home side comfortably held out to record a massive three points.

Interim Head Coach Karel Fraeye made two changes to the side that started at Milton Keynes Dons on Tuesday night, with El-Hadji Ba and Naby Sarr replacing Conor McAleny and the injured Tony Watt.

Johann Berg Gudmundsson recovered from the knock he sustained in the midweek defeat to retain his place in the side. He started at the tip of a midfield diamond that also consisted of Ba, Jackson and Alou Diarra.

Charlton began quickly and Ba jinked away from Daniel Pudil on the right flank and crossed for Makienok. The big Dane got his head to the centre but could only direct it wide under strong pressure from Tom Lees.

A two-minute spell of possession saw the Addicks confidently knock the ball around soon afterwards, before Chris Solly’s eventual cross just evaded a red shirt in the middle.

Skipper Jackson won his side possession on the halfway line after 11 minutes, which led to another opening for the fast-starting hosts. He toed possession to Reza Ghoochannejhad who, in turn, chipped over the top for Gudmundsson.

The Icelandic winger drove into the box and, with Makienok available to his right, a magnificent last-ditch tackle from Glenn Loovens denied Charlton of a clear goalscoring opportunity.

Forestieri scuffed a tame strike into the arms of Stephen Henderson in what was Wednesday’s first attempt on goal while at the other end Ghoochannejhad nodded Gudmundsson’s near-post corner wide as the home side continued to probe.

Charlton were dealt a blow midway through the first half when Chris Solly was forced to withdraw with a knee injury. He was replaced by fellow academy graduate Tareiq Holmes-Dennis and the youngster made an instant impact, delivering a dangerous cross that Wednesday were forced to concede a corner from.

Holmes-Dennis’ centre proved even more impressive as Charlton would take the lead from the resulting set piece. Gudmundsson whipped it in and Jackson arrived right on cue to bullet a header beyond Westwood and into the net.

Buoyed by notching their first goal in six games, the home side kept pushing forward. Makienok flicked on Morgan Fox’s throw-in into the path of the influential Gudmundsson. With his back to goal, he controlled and spun in an instant before whizzing an effort wide of the target.

Gudmundsson was again involved as the Addicks’ next attacking wave hit the Wednesday defence. He linked up with Jackson on the byline, the captain cleverly back heeling into his path, and advanced into the penalty area and shot wide with his weaker right foot.

Again it was Gudmundsson that was carved out the next goalscoring opportunity. This time it yielded a goal. He snuck between centre-back and right-back, allowing Ghoochannejhad to find him on the left flank. After one look up, he slid possession across the face of goal, where Makienok met it at the near post with a first-time finish.

That came on the stroke of half time, though Wednesday forced their best opening before the whistle sounded for the interval. Kieran Lee got beyond the Charlton defence and cut back towards Forestieri, but Naby Sarr got their first and was able to hack the danger clear.

Forestieri looped a long-range effort high and wide seconds into the second period for the Owls, who were now operating with three strikers on the pitch following the introduction of Lucas Joao.

A vital interception from Lees then took the ball off the head Sarr from another wicked set-piece delivery from Gudmundsson. Charlton took 10 more minutes to make it three.

Makienok controlled a high ball forward on his chest and allowed it to drop to his feet. Spotting a run forward of Fox to his left, he put superbly put the ball straight into his path with a beautiful chip.

Now presented with just Westwood between himself and the goal, Fox unselfishly elected to square to Ghoochannejhad, who slid home from close range.

Holmes-Dennis then won possession off the toes of Forestieri straight from kick-off. He advanced beyond Pudil and thumped a strike well wide having reached 30 yards from goal.

A foul on Alou Diarra presented the excellent Gudmundsson with a chance to get himself on the scoresheet on the hour mark. He curled over the wall and with his effort seemingly destined for the back of the net, it smacked the crossbar and bounced over.

Lee fizzed a ball across the box that missed everyone on 72 minutes but two minutes later Wednesday pulled one back. Forestieri reached another low cross to guide the ball beyond Stephen Henderson and into the far corner.

The undeterred Addicks soon looked to restore their three-goal lead with a cross from substitute Frank Moussa dropping for Ghoochannejhad at the far post. But he was snuffed out by Jack Hunt after trying to come back inside rather than shooting.

Fraeye introduced academy graduate Ademola Lookman for his Valley debut 10 minutes from time. He made an instant impact by escaping down the right, breaking into the penalty area, cutting inside of Vincent Sasso and seeing a shot blocked.

The loose ball fell for Makienok but he could only curl into the arms of Westwood. Lookman was soon involved again. He found himself free on the right flank and squared for Makienok. The Dane elected to try and find one of his teammates with a cheeky backheel rather than shoot and the chance was gone.

Four minutes of stoppage time were added by referee Gavin Ward, in which Lewis McGugan curled a long-range free-kick well wide for Wednesday, as Charlton held firm to record a huge victory in SE7.

Charlton: Henderson, Solly (Holmes-Dennis 24), Bauer, Sarr, Fox, Diarra, Jackson, Ba (Moussa 66), Gudmundsson, Ghoochannejhad (Lookman 82), Makienok.

Subs (not used): Pope, Bergdich, Charles-Cook, Ahearne-Grant.

Goals: Jackson 26, Makienok 45, Ghoochannejhad 55

Booked: Ba 60 (delaying a free-kick), Fox 70 (foul on Joao)

Sheffield Wednesday: Westwood, Hutchinson (Joao 46), Loovens (c) (Sasso 46), Hooper (McGugan 66), Lees, Lee, Hunt, Wallace, Pudil, Bannan, Forestieri.

Subs (not used): Wildsmith, Semedo, Nuhiu, Helan, Joao.

Goals: Forestieri 74

Booked: Hutchinson 31 (foul on Holmes-Dennis), Forestieri 55 (foul on Ba), Bannan 63 (foul on Diarra)

Referee: G Ward

Attendance: 16,267 (3,075 away fans)

    Latest Match Reports