Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Fri 20 Feb 15 at 22:41 PM

Wigan Athletic 0 Charlton 3

Olly Groome reports from the DW Stadium

Two wins, six goals, two clean sheets and up to 12th. 

That’s the story of Charlton’s past six days as they roared past Wigan Athletic to secure a second 3-0 victory on the spin at the DW Stadium on Friday night. 

The Addicks were on a high, coming off the impressive success against Brentford at The Valley when Frederic Bulot found his form. 

And the loanee carried it with him to Lancashire, putting his side in front with an unstoppable strike before claiming an assist on the stroke of half-time, crossing for Igor Vetokele to head home as the pair celebrated two goals in as many games. 

By the time Chris Eagles emerged from the bench to hit a debut goal past Wigan stopper Ali Al Habsi, it was game set and match as the 553 travelling hardy Addicks, who were vocal throughout, were sent home singing in the rain. 

There were two enforced changes to the side which started against Brentford last time out. 

With Rhoys Wiggins and Johnnie Jackson limping off during the 3-0 victory over the Bees, Morgan Fox and Yoni Buyens both slotted in to the Addicks’ 4-4-2 formation, while new arrival Eagles took his place amongst the substitutes. 

The first sight at goal came the way of the visitors after just two minutes when  Vetokele received Tony Watt’s knockdown to send a speculative effort over the bar from range.

But the hosts responded well, going on the front foot as Charlton weathered somewhat of an early storm. 

First, Marc Antoine-Fortune beat Roger Johnson to the chase to get into the box and draw a good save from Stephen Henderson before the striker wasted another opportunity – heading wide of the post from six yards out. 

The Latics continued to play the ball around well in the opening exchanges while the Addicks were, in truth, chasing shadows. 

But with 17 minutes on the clock, it was Guy Luzon’s men who took the lead against the run of play. 

A swift counter attack saw Gudmundsson break down the right before play was switched to Bulot. 

And the wide man steamed down the left wing, biding his time before beating his man, breaking into the box and powering an unstoppable drive past Ali Al Habsi from an angle to put the Londoners 1-0 in front, bagging his second goal in as many games. 

The two sides exchanged possession  in midfield before the flow of the game was interrupted by a nasty injury to former Addick Leon Clarke who stayed on the ground following an innocuous challenge and received treatment for eight minutes before being stretchered off with his neck seemingly in a brace. 

It was an injury which came as a particular blow to the hosts, who were forced into an earlier sub when midfielder William Kvist was replaced by Chris McCann. 

And just as the clock ticked into the second of 10 minutes added on, the Addicks went further ahead thanks to the leap of Vetokele. 

With Watt causing havoc down the left, Bulot kept the move alive, getting into space and clipping an inch-perfect cross towards the back post where the Angola international awaited, marked by two stripey shirts. 

But, against all odds, the second-favourite to the ball leaped like a salmon to get their first and nod the ball into the bottom right-hand corner to send the hardy travelling faithful at the opposite end into raptures. 

Into the second-half, and the Latics continued to enjoy the lions’ share of possession despite the Addicks remaining in control. 

Fortune continued to frustrate the home crowd, firing a show into row Z from 30 yards while Harry Maguire forced Stephen Henderson into an outstanding save, diving unsighted to keep the defender’s effort from creeping inside the post. 

But at the other end, Charlton embarked on the move of the night with Watt coming agonisingly close to making it three. 

A good ball to Vetokele from Fox saw the striker send a back-heel flick (which was simply class personified) through to his strike partner, who just had Al Habsi to beat, but could only slide his effort past the post. 

It was a move that certainly deserved a goal, but the Addicks would more than settle for keeping things tight at the back while limiting their opponents to the odd shot from distance until two minutes from time when Luzon’s men would land another great big, late cherry atop their cake late on for the second game running, wrapping up victory by netting a third. 

Gudmundsson and Vetokele played the offside trap superbly, with the latter, stood the wrong side of the defence, smartly leaving a pass as the defence froze, allowing the Iceland international time to steal into the box. 

With substitute Eagles to his left, he unselfishly opted to square to the debutant who completed the simple task of stroking the ball home for his first goal in Charlton colours. 

The three points now shoots Luzon’s side seven places up to 12th and can now make the tough trip to Derby County on Tuesday high on confidence, and with an extra day to prepare. 

What a difference a week makes. 

Charlton: Henderson; Solly, Fox, Johnson, Ben Haim; Gudmundsson, Buyens, Cousins (Wilson 87), Bulot; Vetokele (Harriott 90), Watt (Eagles 71). 

Subs (not used): Dmitrović, Gomez, Bikey-Amougou, Lepoint. 

Booked: Buyens 13 (foul on Ojo), Vetokele 51 (foul on Perch).

Goals: Bulot 17, Vetokele 45+2, Eagles 88.

Wigan Athletic: Al Habsi; Taylor, Maguire, McClean, Kimbo-Kyung, Sheyiojo, Clarke (McKay 35), Perch, Pearce, Fortune, Kvist (McCann 22).

Subs (not used): Carson, Bong, Waghorn, Flores.

Booked: McClean 43 (foul on Solly)

Referee: C Kavanagh

Att: 11,344 (553)

    Latest Match Reports