Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Fri 22 Aug 14 at 19:46 PM

Huddersfield Town 1 Charlton 1

Jimmy Stone reports

A last-gasp leveler from Igor Vetokele helped Charlton to their second point on the road this season at Huddersfield Town on Saturday.

Town were reduced to 10 men after Murray Wallace was sent off for bringing down Vetokele at the end of the first half, before Nahki Wells fired the home side ahead on 50 minutes.

However, just as it looked Huddersfield were to earn their first home win since beating Barnsley in March, Vetokele popped up with the late equaliser.

Bob Peeters made one change to the Charlton side which beat Derby County on Tuesday night with Chris Solly replacing Joe Gomez at right back.

That meant Nick Pope retained his place between the sticks with Solly, Rhoys Wiggins, Andre Bikey-Amougou and Tal Ben Haim started in defence.

Jordan Cousins and Johann Berg Gudmundsson started either side of Johnnie Jackson and Yoni Buyens in midfield.

Vetokele and George Tucudean, who were both on target on Tuesday night, started upfront.

Lee Peltier returned to captain Huddersfield while James Vaughan made his first appearance of the season on Town’s bench.

It was Town who created the first chance of the game after just two minutes when Bikey-Amougou misjudged a high ball and Pope came out to sweep up the danger.

However, the ball bounced awkwardly for the goalkeeper and he failed to make proper contact with the ball. Wells battled with Pope for possession and was adjudged to have fouled him to the home crowd’s dismay.

It was an early let-off for Peeters’ men.

Seven minutes later it was Charlton who had reason to be annoyed as Buyens freed Gudmundsson on the break before Charlton’s number 17 was taken out off the ball.

Rather than play the advantage referee Tim Robinson pulled the game back with the Icelandic midfielder running clear on goal.

Then came the best chance of the first period.

Wiggins played the ball back to Pope who hesitated slightly. Wells, who was causing the Addicks real problems, got there first and rounded the keeper but, just before the striker could pull the trigger, Ben Haim did brilliantly to block the effort.

Charlton were under real pressure by then, with Wiggins nipping in to clear before Sean Scannell could shoot.

Although on the backfoot Charlton were still causing Town a problem on the break. Vetokele had long been ruled offside as he ran clear and cleverly chipped Alex Smithies.

The moment helped the Addicks get a foothold in the game and Vetokele came close to opening the scoring again in the 33rd minute.

The striker broke clear of the Town backline got to the ball before the on-rushing Smithies but his touch was heavy and allowed Wallace to nip in and clear.

It was a brief spell of respite for Charlton, who were soon under real pressure once again.

Pope was called into action twice in a minute first brilliantly palming wide a curling effort from Harry Bunn, before getting down low at his near post to keep out the former Manchester City man once again.

Vetokele was still a constant threat at the other end and his clever flick after 39 minutes put him clear on goal. The Angola international took his shot early on the half-volley but Smithies did brilliantly to tip over.

Then came the talking point of the game.

Vetokele made up five yards on Huddersfield defender Wallace and got to the ball first.

The striker sprinted away but was pulled back around 25 yards from goal. Referee Tim Robinson took his time over the decision before brandishing a red card in what turned out to be the last meaningful action of the first half

Despite having a man advantage Charlton had the worst possible start to the second period.

Scannell broke past Cousins inside the area and drilled in a low cross into the box that Wells tapped home with ease.

It gave Town something to hold onto inviting pressure from Charlton but breaking at every opportunity and it was them who looked most likely to add to the scoreline.

Wells headed wide from Bunn's cross before substitute James Vaughan drew a brilliant save from Pope with 15 minutes remaining.

Jackson twice went close from range but the Addicks didn’t carry much of a threat in the second period and looked on course of for their first defeat of the season.

With two minutes to go Ben Haim collided with Vaughan in the box but, despite plenty of pressure from the home crowd, Robinson waved away the protests once again.

Shortly after came Charlton’s big moment.

Deep into injury-time a long ball forward found the head of Bikey-Amougou whose flick-on found Vetokele and the striker stretched to prod home his third goal of the season.

It sent the travelling Addicks into delirium and home happy with a point, their eighth from four matches with a trip to Brighton & Hove Albion to come next Saturday (3pm).

Charlton: Pope, Solly, Wiggins (Church 67), Bikey-Amougou, Ben Haim; Gudmundsson, Cousins (Harriott 73), Buyens, Jackson; Tucudean (Moussa 55), Vetokele.

Subs: Phillips, Fox, Gomez, Wilson.

Bookings: Wiggins 29.

Goals: Vetokele 90+3.

Huddersfield Town: Smithies; Dixon, Lynch, Wallace, Smith; Coady, Peltier, (Majewski 60); Bunn, Butterfield, Scannell; Wells (Vaughan 64).

Subs (not used): Murphy, Ward, Hammill, Stead, Crooks,

Goal: Wells 50.

Bookings: Peltier 44.

Red card: Wallace 45.

    Latest Match Reports