Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 12 Feb 14 at 05:02 AM

Charlton 1 AFC Bournemouth 0

Olly Groome reports from The Valley

Charlton climbed out of the bottom three after a last-gasp Dorian Dervite header sealed the Addicks all three points against AFC Bournemouth at The Valley on Tuesday evening.

The Addicks had probed for 90 minutes without any luck in front of goal before the Frenchman sparked jubilant scenes, diverting Johnnie Jackson's injury-time corner past Lee Camp to ensure three vital points and José Riga's first win since taking charge.

Before the game the Belgian made three changes to the side which drew at The Den on Saturday. 

Simon Church was given his chance up top in place of Marvin Sordell while Danny Green made his first start since February's Valley victory over Queens Park Rangers as Bradley Pritchard reverted to the bench. 

Elsewhere, Jordan Cousins was drafted into the midfield having missed out on the previous two occasions while Monday's loan signing Jonathan Obika took his place among the substitutes. 

The first effort of the evening came via the right foot of Cherries wide man Marc Pugh after just 26 seconds and it set the tone for an early barrage of early Bournemouth efforts. 

Although a speculative pot-shot, the winger hit his effort from 30 yards with venom as he watched it fly just over the bar. 

Indeed, the Addicks struggled to contain the visitors in the early exchanges as they enjoyed the majority of possession. 

Five minutes in, and Bournemouth tried their luck again. When a corner was cleared as far as Steve Cook, the defender unleashed a half-volley from 25 yards which Ben Hamer, just about, gobbled up. 

And five minutes later, the goalkeeper had to deal with yet another shot from range when former Addick Harry Arter shot a powerful effort straight down Hamer's throat. 

At the other end, the hosts' first real effort would not come until the 25th minute when Diego Poyet raked a ball out left to Green who cut inside before firing low at Lee Camp's near post.

With 35 minutes on the clock, Church did well to win a corner for his side and when Johnnie Jackson delivered, Dorian Dervite rose do divert a header just wide. 

Then, the lively Green struck the post when his right-wing cross-come-shot bamboozled Camp, spinning off the woodwork and out for a goal-kick.

It may have come late in the half, but the Addicks were finally beginning to get a foothold in the game as their confidence grew. 

Obika entered the fray just before the interval in place of Callum Harriott and the loanee made an instant impact, testing Camp with a vicious snapshot 18 yards from goal. 

It is fair to say that the Cherries enjoyed much the better of the first period but there was plenty for Riga's men to be confident about ahead of the second 45. 

Indeed, the hosts spent the early part of the second-half camped in Bournemouth's final third, seeing plenty of the ball as they endeavoured the carve out an all-important opportunity.
Poyet came close when he returned a half-cleared ball into the box with a dangerous dipping volley from the edge of the area but for all of Charlton's possession, they could not break down the visitor's backline. 

Just after the hour mark, Bournemouth's Pugh led his team on a swift counter-attacking move before the winger tried his luck with a curling effort from the edge of the box which, thankfully, sailed just wide of the mark and with 20 minutes left on the clock, hearts were in mouths when Hamer came a long way to claim before Pugh raced to get there first. Travelling wide, he laid the ball off to sub Mohamed Coulibaly who drove a shot at Hamer's near post which the custodian duly gobbled up. 

Those were rare second-half opportunities for Howe's men who, up to that point, were preoccupied with keeping the Addicks at bay. 

Cousins was presented with a glorious chance on 74 minutes when Obika showed great strength to hold off former Charlton defender Simon Francis to tee up the youngster. 

But with Cousins standing just inside the box and with a fantastic sight on goal, he snatched at his shot which flew wide in frustrating fashion. 

Six minutes later, the academy product turned provider when his pass split the Bournemouth defence to send in Church. But as the Wales international dashed to poke past Camp, the keeper got down well to keep it out. The danger wasn't clear, though, for the visitors as Jackson attempted to follow up but once again, the Cherries stopper was equal to it. 

It was difficult to see how the Addicks would enjoy a better chance in this game. The opportunities were there but despite Charlton's efforts they just could not convert. 

Poyet tried his luck from distance for a second time in the final five minutes with Camp parrying out to allow the Addicks to build on another attack. 

This time, the ball fell to Jackson who pelted a shot from a tight angle straight over the bar. And the skipper was involved again as the clock ticked into injury time, stepping up to deliver a free-kick from just outside the box. 

Dipping and swerving, the powerful effort drew Camp into an awkward save to win a corner. 

And what a vital corner it was. 

Jackson bent in the set-piece, and with shades of Queens Park Rangers a month earlier, Dorian Dervite rose at the back post to head home a glorious winner deep into injury time. 

Jubilation spread around The Valley. The Addicks had won it at the death. Charlton were out of the bottom three. 

With games in hand and confidence in tow, the run-in certainly looks brighter for Riga's men who continue the fight against the drop with their heads held high from this well-earned win. 

Charlton: Hamer; Wilson, Wiggins, Morrison, Dervite; Green (Sordell 65), Cousins, Poyet, Harriott (Obika 41), Jackson; Church. 

Subs (not used): Thuram-Ulien, Wood, Nego, Pritchard, Tudgay.

Booked: Wiggins 57 (foul on Surman), Obika 73 (foul on Fraser), Jackson 90+3 (foul on Surman), Church 90+4.

Goal: Dervite: 90+2

Bournemouth: Camp, Francis, Cook, Elphick, Harte, Pugh, Arter, O'Kane (Kermorgant 59), Surman, Fraser (Smith 83), Grabban (Rantie 70).

Subs (not used): Allsop, Ward, MacDonald, Coulibaly. 

Booked: Elphick 90 (foul on Obika)

Referee: J Linington

Att: 13,537 (976 from Bournemouth)

    Latest Match Reports