Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 21 Jan 14 at 22:53 PM

Oxford 0 Charlton 3

Olly Groome reports from the Kassam Stadium

A Yann Kermorgant brace topped off by a sweet, trademark free-kick saw Charlton through to the fourth round of the FA Cup with victory over Oxford United. 

Chris Powell's men will now make the trip to Huddersfield Town on Saturday after easing past the U's at the Kassam Stadium with Danny Green's goal adding to the Frenchman's double. 

Just as he did seven days earlier, Chris Powell opted for a strong starting XI to face the League Two side. 

Ben Alnwick returned in goal after missing Saturday's defeat to Middlesbrough through illness while Green's eye-catching cameo in the original clash at The Valley earned him a start on the right. 

Elsewhere, Dorian Dervite started in defence for the first time since December's defeat to Derby County while promising midfielder Diego Poyet appeared on the bench for the first time. 

The Addicks started the brighter side and kept Oxford stopper Ryan Clarke warm twice in a quiet opening ten minute period. 

Green swung in a free kick for the 'keeper to claim while Clarke was equal to Kermorgant's header after the Frenchman got on the end of a sumptuous Callum Harriott cross. 

Simon Church came close in the 13th minute when Harriott glanced a low ball across goal. 

The Welsh international diverted the cross goalwards but couldn't control the bounce as it looped harmlessly wide. 

The opening exchanges were, in truth, played at a pace reminisce of a training ground friendly. 

Despite the visitors looking comfortable on the ball at times, Charlton were happy to remain in second gear, waiting patiently for the game to ignite. 

It almost seemed as if neither side were relishing a trip to Huddersfield in four days time.

But just when it looked like it was going to be 'one of those nights', the Addicks sprung into action with two goals in three minutes. 

Kermorgant drilled home on 35 minutes to make it 1-0. 

With Harriott chipping over the top Oxford defender Jake Wright misjudged the flight of the ball allowing Church a way in. 

Having steamed into the box the striker held up play with his back to goal to square for Kermorgant who fired in powerfully from 12 yards.

Despite Clarke's best efforts, the sheer power of the burly Breton's shot won through as the net rippled. 

Having waited so long for goal number one, a second followed with haste and Church, again, was the provider.

With Lawrie Wilson splitting the defence with a through-ball the former Reading man was in again. 

With just the goalkeeper to beat and Green to his left he opted, unselfishly, to tee up the winger who made no mistake from two yards. 

An extremely lacklustre first half suddenly looked much better and the Addicks could go into the break with their noses in front.  

Oxford came out with some purpose in the second half but Charlton soon quelled the threat of the U's. 

And Kermorgant was the man to do it.

With 59 minutes on the clock the talismanic forward stepped up to a free-kick 30 yards from goal. 

It certainly was in 'Kermorgant territory' and the Frenchman stamped his trademark on proceedings by bending a beautiful strike into the the top-right hand corner to put the Addicks 3-0 up with one foot in the fourth round. 

On 67 minutes, Green fancied his luck from similar range after Kermorgant was upended by Johnny Mullins.

Although the wide man hit it sweetly, his strike was equalled by Clarke's stop. 

With Charlton in charge the game reverted back to its 'training ground' pace as the game fizzled out.

James Constable stung the palms of Alnwick late on with Green doing the same at the other end, but the only real moment left to note was the 82nd minute introduction of Poyet. 

The eighteen-year-old became the latest graduate of the club's renowned academy as he replaced Dale Stephens to become a footnote to the Addicks' advancement into the fourth round. 

In the end it was a comfortable win for Charlton and although it wasn't a thing of beauty, the magic of the cup is still alive and well for Powell's side. 

Charlton: Alnwick; Wilson, Evina, Morrison, Dervite; Green, Stephens (Poyet 82), Jackson, Harriott (Pritchard 68); Church, Kermorgant (Sordell 76).

Subs (not used): Phillips, Wood, Lennon, Pigott.

Goals: Kermorgant (35), Green (38), Kermorgant (59)

Booked: None

Oxford: Clarke; Hunt, Raynes, Wright, Newey; Rigg (O'Dowda 79), Davies, Mullins, Ruffels; Smalley, Constable (Marsh 79).

Subs (not used): Rose, Marsh, Long, Lynn, Shama, Bevans,.

Booked: Mullins 66 (foul on Kermorgant)

Referee: Mr D Coote

Att: 3,225

    Latest Match Reports