Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 08 Apr 14 at 22:31 PM

Charlton 3 Yeovil Town 2

Oh how Charlton do love Tuesdays. 

A crucial, yet nervy, 3-2 victory over Yeovil Town at The Valley was the Addicks' fourth midweek win in succession and plunged their opponents into the relegation mire while putting some light between themselves and the chasing pack. 

A perfect start to each half paved the way for the Addicks who got off the mark through Astrit Ajdarević after nine minutes before the visitors levelled shortly after. 

But emerging from the break in gung-ho fashion, Charlton hit two quickfire strikes to, very nearly, put the game beyond Gary Johnson's side. 

Kieffer Moore's goal ensured it would be an agonising end to the game but the hosts held on to send The Valley home happy.  

Before the game José Riga made two changes to the side which lost out to Reading on Saturday, with Marvin Sordell making a return to the starting XI in place of Simon Church who did not make the 18. 

Meanwhile, Richard Wood came into the side in place of Lawrie Wilson who suffered a fractured cheek bone against the Royals leaving Michael Morrison to cover in the right-back berth. 

And there was welcome news in the form of Leon Cort who made his return from long-term injury by taking his place among the substitutes. 

Make no mistake, this game was huge. And the Covered End knew it. But with the game kicking-off with fantastic vocal backing from the Valley faithful it was the visitors who tried their luck first with an early James Hayter effort which curled high and wide. 

It wasn't until the eighth minute that the Addicks would eye up goal. But Dorian Dervite's wildly hit free-kick was never going to bother Glovers' stopper Chris Dunn.

Just a minute later, however, and the hosts would take an early lead.

Ajdarević picked up possession in the middle of the park and, shimmying to the left, he drove towards goal with eyes only on finding the net. 

And as he reached the edge of the box, he unleashed his low effort which nestled nicely into the bottom left-hand corner. 

It was the perfect start, but it would not last long and with 11 minutes on the clock Yeovil hit back.

As the visitors advanced down the left a series of slips let Liam Davis into the box before Joel Grant's effort took a wicked deflection to bounce past a stranded Ben Hamer. 

It was an ugly, sloppy goal to concede and the Addicks were back to square one. 

All of a sudden, Yeovil were on the front foot and they very nearly went ahead straight away when  Hayter fired straight at Hamer from 10 yards. It was, in truth, a let off. 

This game was certainly not dull as the pendulum of action swung one way, and then the other.

Indeed, Charlton were next to come close. 

Superb work down the left saw Rhoys Wiggins cut a ball back into the danger area which was nicely dummied by Ajdarević. And with it falling to the well-placed Reza Ghoochannejhad, the Iranian could only force Dunn into a save.

And moments later Dervite, undeterred by his earlier effort from range, cracked a shot from distance which bent only narrowly wide of the right upright. 

The Glovers then stepped it up. Joe Ralls dipped an effort just over the bar from 25 yards before the midfielder tried his luck again from distance – this time drawing Hamer into a good save low to his right after some calamitous defending from the Addicks.  

And from the resulting corner, Tom Lawrence hit the crossbar directly to send nerves jangling (even more so) around The Valley. 

As time run out in the first-half, so did the chances as a quiet spell took hold of the game. 

But with two minutes left on the clock, the home side sprung back into action. 

First, Ajdarević forced Dunn to spill a tricky shot back into the box, but with no red shirts on hand for the rebound, the Glovers were able to clear their lines. 

Then, Sordell found himself clean through on goal, latching onto a fine through-ball courtesy of Diego Poyet before taking his shot early which the Yeovil keeper did well to scoop away. 

The Addicks seemed hell-bent on netting an all-important goal before the break and on the stroke of half-time they came inches away. 

Johnnie Jackson's chipped ball into the box found Wood who angled his header over Dunn only for a last-ditch Yeovil boot to hook off the line at the vital moment.

The half-time whistle did no favours for Charlton who had finally got back on the front foot. The only thing for it was to continue that pressure into the second period.

Naturally, the Addicks obliged. 

Just three minutes into the half, Jackson flung in a corner from the left and Dervite was the man to rise above the visitors defence to divert his header into the top corner to restore the lead. 

Riga's men had their tails up and, smelling blood, they went for a third.  

Two minutes later, that's exactly what they got. 

Poyet sparked an attack down the right with a clever flick for Ghoochannejhad and the Iranian international hared down the the wing before supplying a ball which bounced off a Yeovil defender, but only into the path of Sordell. 

And the Olympian made no mistake in firing Charlton into a two-goal advantage from close range. 

It was only the second time the Addicks had scored more than two goals in a fixture all season and it was absolutely vital to make that count. 

Of course, it was never going to be easy and Yeovil came straight back at their hosts with a number of forays forward which the men in red were forced to hack away in nervy fashion. 

There was a shout for handball when a shot appeared to ricochet off Poyet's hand in a crowded box but there was nothing doing for the visitors as Charlton began to regain a calmer foothold on proceedings. 

On 70 minutes the home side once again threatened from a set-piece after the dangerous Sordell worked hard to earn a corner. 

Riga gesticulated for the fans and the players to give him more and he very nearly got it when Jackson's delivery was met by Wood. With Dunn breathing down his neck, however, the Yeovil custodian was able to punch clear. 

But just as the Addicks began to look comfortable, a defensive slip let in the visitors to reduce the arrears. 

When Hamer came to collect a loose ball which was heading for the corner of the box the keeper was left stranded when Yeovil were able to play it back to a waiting Kiefer Moore who had a simple job of slotting into an empty net. 

The goal was made all the more frustrating by the fact it stemmed from a terrible refereeing decision to award the Glovers a throw-in after Cousins had done brilliantly to force Yeovil to put the ball out themselves. 

That said, it was, frankly, more calamitous defending and the nerves were well and truly back on. 

The game entered the final throws in a far more even keel as it balanced delicately on a knife edge. 

Callum Harriott was brought on to cause problems down the right and he did just that on 86 minutes when he tricked his was into the box before firing straight at Dunn. 

The board went up to indicate that there would be five minutes of time added on. Agonising. 

Cort entered the fray in place of Sordell to shore up the back and batten down the hatches as three sides of The Valley begged their boys to simply “HOLD ON!”

And then, the final whistle. Pure relief!

Charlton held on for a vital three points and another memorable Tuesday night in this rollercoaster of a season. 

“We are staying up” chanted the Covered End as Johnnie Jackson emerged for the customary post-match tunnel jump. And with the end in sight, that win will certainly go a long way to making that goal a reality. 

Charlton: Hamer; Morrison, Wiggins, Dervite, Wood; Ajdarevic (Obika 75), Cousins, Poyet, Jackson; Sordell (Cort 89), Ghoochannejhad (Harriott 79).

Subs (not used): Thuram-Ulien, Hughes, Fox, Pigott.

Booked: None

Goals: Ajdarević 9, Dervite 48, Sordell 50

Yeovil: Dunn, Ayling, Webster, Duffy, McAllister, Grant (Moore 62), Edwards, Ralls (Palazuelos 80), Davis, Lawrence, Hayter.

Subs (not used): Stech, Dawson, Hoskins, Lanzoni, Nana Twumasi. 

Booked: Webster 56 (foul on Sordell), Ralls 79 (foul on Obika), Palazuelos (after the final whistle for dissent)

Goals: Grant 11, Moore 74

Att: 15,430 (657 from Yeovil)

    Latest Match Reports