Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 17 Jul 13 at 06:40 AM

REPORT: Charlton 0 Burnley 3

Olly Groome reports from The Valley

Charlton just did not have enough to combat a solid Burnley outfit at The Valley on Saturday as two second-half goals added to a first-half header to ensure a 3-0 victory for the visitors. 

Sean Dyche's high-flying side should be applauded for a professional job well done in SE7 but that is not to say the Addicks did not give a good account of themselves at times. 

José Riga's men enjoyed a number of passing passages and large spells of possession throughout the afternoon but could not convert passes into chances and, in truth, the game was all but over once Sam Vokes dispatched his second-half penalty for the Clarets, adding to Ashley Barnes' first-half header. And by the time Johnnie Jackson helped Michael Kightly's shot into his own goal in injury-time the points were already halfway to Lancashire. 

Jonathan Obika made his first start since rejoining on loan from Tottenham Hotspur and the striker took his place up front alongside Simon Church as José Riga opted to revert to a more traditional 4-4-2 formation. 

Obika's inclusion in the starting XI meant saw Callum Harriott made way after the winger had been injured in the midweek victory over AFC Bournemouth. 

Meanwhile, Astrit Ajdarević and Reza Ghoochannejhad returned to the bench after missing out altogether against the Cherries.  

The Addicks made a confident start as they looked to play from the back looking comfortable in possession. 

And with the two sides feeling each other out in the centre of the park, it was Charlton who made the first foray forward when Simon Church got the better of Clarets right-back Chris Baird as he cut inside the box. But as he looked for the killer ball across goal, it ran too far allowing the visitors to clear their lines. 

Despite a lack of chances in the opening 25 minutes it was difficult to to tell the team flying high in the Championship from the side struggling near the bottom. Indeed, Charlton were more than holding their own against second-placed Burnley. 

And with 26 minutes on the clock, the Addicks were presented with a glorious chance to take the lead. 

Visiting defender Michael Duff horribly mis-controlled a pass, allowing Church a free run 30 yards from goal. 

But as he entered the penalty area the Wales international took his shot under pressure a fraction too early, side-footing a tame effort straight at Burnley keeper Tom Heaton. 

A minute later, Sean Dyche's men had their first sight of goal as Sam Vokes laid off for Scott Arfield just inside the box but the wide man's shot was barely threatening as Ben Hamer stopped it with ease. 

At the other end, Charlton deployed a smart-looking set-piece routine when Johnnie Jackson sent a corner to the edge of the box for Danny Green to meet, but the winger's first-time effort was charged down by the Burnley defence. 

The chances were now beginning to flow and just as the visitors presented Church with a gift earlier, a Dorian Dervite and Rhoys Wiggins mix up let in Vokes, whose shot from 18 yards took a deflection leaving Hamer to scramble away for a corner. 

It was a decent pair of chances for Burnley and when they had a third, they took it, going 1-0 up with 38 minutes gone. 

Junior Stanislas was the provider as his left-wing cross was met by the head of Ashley Barnes and the striker glanced it in at the near post to give his side the lead. 

With their tales up, Burnley went again as Baird drew a save from Hamer with a driven shot at his near post before the goalkeeper made a stupendous show-stopping save. 

With a dangerous ball delivered to the back post, Barnes sent a powerful effort goalwards which looked certain to be heading in. But stretching back, Hamer clawed the ball away magnificently much to the Valley crowd's disbelief. 

The goal seemed to knock the stuffing out of the hosts who were looking so confident up to that point and Riga's men would have to emerge from the break in the same vein as they began proceedings if they were going to garner anything from the game. 

Ajdarević was brought into the fray in place of Danny Green for the second-half as Charlton looked to be more creative in the final third, but it was Burnley who made the stronger start after the interval. 

On 51 minutes, Arfield was allowed time to control before getting in his shot from 10 yards with only a fantastic block from Wiggins denying him. 

But on 54 minutes Ajdarević looked to stamp some authority on the game when Obika teed up the loanee who sent a first-time volley fizzing towards goal from all of 30 yards which only just dipped over Heaton's bar.

A minute later, though, Vokes drew a foul from Dervite right on the edge of the Addicks penalty area and referee Oliver Langdon had no hesitation in pointing to the spot. 

Replays suggested that the foul was, indeed, just inside the box and the Wales striker stepped up to send his penalty down the middle to make it 2-0 to the visitors. 

Despite their 2-0 deficit, Charlton enjoyed a spell of possession following the goal as they pushed for a way back into the contest. 

And when Obika was fouled 25 yards from goal, Ajdarević tried his luck from the resulting free-kick with a good-looking left-footed strike which was heading for the bottom left-hand corner. But Heaton got down well to make the save and deny the Addicks. 

On 77 minutes, Ajdarević tried his luck again as a long spell of possession saw the ball finally fall to the midfielder on the angle. And Heaton was rooted as the curled effort bent just wide of the right-hand upright.

By this stage it was clear that Burnley felt their two goals would be enough and despite giving up possession to their hosts for the remainder of the game, they always looked in full control. 

There was, however, still time for the Claret's to bag a third in injury time when Jackson sent the ball looping over Hamer after sticking out a foot following Michael Kightly's effort. 

Results elsewhere ensured that the Addicks would remain outside of the bottom three and with Riga's men facing a trip to a Nottingham Forest side in freefall on Tuesday evening, all that can be done is to keep the faith. 
Charlton: Hamer; Wilson, Wiggins, Morrison, Dervite; Green (Ajdarevic 45), Cousins, Poyet (Sordell 76), Jackson; Church (Ghoochannejhad 54), Obika. 

Subs (not used): Thuram-Ulien, Wood, Nego, Fox.

Booked: None

Burnley: Heaton; Baird, Duff (Long 91), Shackell, Mee; Stanislas (Kightly 75), Marney, Jones, Arfield; Vokes, Barnes.

Subs (not used): Cisak, Lafferty, Treacy, Wallace, Edgar.

Booked: None

Goals: Barnes 38, Vokes (pen) 55, Kightly 90+1

Referee: O Langford

Att: 16,113 (1,865)

    Latest Match Reports