Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 22 Feb 14 at 19:24 PM

Charlton 1 QPR 0

Olly Groome reports

Few gave Charlton a chance when Queens Park Rangers came to town. But the Addicks did everyone gathered in SE7 proud as they bagged an injury-time winner in quite sensational style. 

Chris Powell and his players had done a job on Rangers for 90 minutes. 

The defence had not allowed the attacking riches of the west-London side a sniff and all that was missing was a goal at the other end.

Cue the captain. Who else, but Johnnie Jackson?

The skipper gave fans a goal to remember as he headed home a winner which will be remembered for years to come. 

Powell made three changes to the side which lost out to Birmingham at The Valley a fortnight earlier. 

Rhoys Wiggins made a welcome return at left-back following the injury he sustained at Wigan Athletic earlier this month while Dorian Dervite made his first start since the defeat at Doncaster Rovers.

Elsewhere, Danny Green was given his first starting berth since December with Astrit Ajdarević dropping to the bench and Simon Church was back in the starting XI alongside Reza Ghoochannejhad with Marvin Sordell having to settle for a place among the substitutes where academy full-back Morgan Fox also took his place. 

New arrival Marcus Tudgay also took a seat on the bench, 24 hours after joining on loan from Nottingham Forest. 

 The west-Londoners began with confidence, as well they should with the wealth of talents afforded to Harry Redknapp. 

But the Addicks did well to break up a number of Rangers' passing passages of play. Jordan Cousins proved to be a rock on more than one occasion in the early exchanges, breaking up the visitors' forays down the middle. 

Although QPR enjoyed the largest share of possession early on, it was important for the Addicks to stand strong. 

Indeed, it was Charlton who cam closest to opening the scoring on 13 minutes, striking each post in one swift attack. 

First, Cousins let fly from the edge of the box only to see his low effort come bouncing off the right-hand upright with Robert Green well beaten. 

And Ghoochannejhad was immediately on hand for the rebound, but the Iranian, somewhat off balance, watched as his first-time effort rolled onto the opposite post. 

It was agonisingly close. 

Despite going close, however, Redknapp's side maintained a threat. 

Their patient build-up play resulted in a couple of dangerous crosses flashed across goal and with 18 minutes gone Kevin Doyle scuffed a shot well over from 12 yards out. 

And four minutes later a threatening counter attack ended in Ravel Morrison volleying just over from Junior Hoilett's cross. 

With 28 minutes on the clock Rangers had a penalty shout. As Nedum Onuoha meandered forward from deep, the defender found himself in the Addicks' penalty area. 

And with Dervite sticking a leg out, Onuoha duly obliged as he tumbled over in search of a penalty. 

The referee, however, showed no interest, waving play on and taking the somewhat bewildering decision not to brandish a yellow card for what appeared to be a blatant dive. 

Ghoochannejhad had a sight at goal on 38 minutes when Wiggins showed good tenacity down the left before delivering for the Iranian who was stood in the 'D'.

But he could only control a header which lacked power straight into Green's palms.

That would prove to be the last piece of action of any note in the first-half as the two sides headed for the break. 

The Addicks had, in truth, done a superb job of limiting QPR in the final third and with Powell's men coming the closest at the other end, more of the same would be needed if Charlton were going to earn valuable points from the game. 

The hosts showed promise in the early part of the second period with Simon Church coming close to latching onto Ghoochannejhad's through ball. 

Taking advantage of a mis-placed Armand Traore pass, the Iran international threaded a pass for Church but his strike partner lost out in a foot race with Green who collected well. 

Meanwhile, in defence, Michael Morrison and co continued to provide an effective rearguard in front of Yohann Thuram-Ulien. 

It took an hour before QPR showed a true threat on Charlton's goal, with their new boy Morisson providing the catalyst. 

The midfielder combined well with Doyle and should probably have done far better when he received a pass from the Irishman near the penalty spot but mis-hit his side-footed shot which spun wide. 

Changes came with 25 minutes remaining and saw Tudgay make his Addicks bow replacing the hard-working Ghoochannejhad with Ajdarević entering the fray for Green. 

The changes brought Charlton some momentum as the Valley crowd urged the men in red forward. 

Green dropped a cross on 69 minutes and with Jackson lurking, the skipper nudged a shot towards goal only for the former England stopper to recover, giving away a corner. 

The game was finely poised by the time the 70th minute came around and it was fair to say the pendulum was resting firmly in the middle, waiting for that vital swing. 

Jackson had another chance when Tudgay neatly teed up his captain on the edge of the box but his angled drive could not find the target as it skidded wide. 

Hearts were in Charlton mouths on 77 minutes when substitute Modibo Maiga very nearly punished  Dervite's hospital ball back to Thuram-Ulien. 

With the tame back-pass bobbling before reaching the on-loan keeper, he laid is on a plate for Maiga who, thankfully, took it out of play, letting the Addicks duo off in spades. 

Ajdarević arrival gave Powell's side something a little extra and the loanee saw a good-looking cross only just evade Church before a second dangerous ball in was hacked away minutes later. 

As the clock ticked down to the final five minutes, the Addicks were, just about, in the ascendency. 

While the chances weren't clear cut, the home side were coming agonisingly close to balls in and around the box and it it needed was that little bit of luck or favourable bounce of the ball in the opposition's penalty area. 

Rangers were frustrated, and a speculative, wayward volley from Jermaine Jenas in the 89th minute somewhat summed up the job the Addicks had done on Redknapp's men. Thuram-Ulien had yet been called into action to make a save. 

In fact, his first came in the 90th minute as the game sprung into an abundance of life. 

Morrison forced the keeper into a catch from close range as QPR threatened to nick it. 

And down the other end, Ajdarević earned a corner when his impressive curling effort was tipped out of the top corner by Green. 

What happened from the resultant corner was simply magical. 

Ajdarević swung the set-piece in deep and Jackson popped up at the back stick to head home a glorious winner.

The Valley exploded with joy as the Addicks had got their completely deserved winner.

The final whistle blew. A vital three points against the Championship giants of QPR were in the bag and few wins in recent memory have felt better. 

Charlton: Thuram-Ulien; Wilson, Wiggins, Morrison, Dervite; Poyet, Cousins, Jackson, Green (Ajdarević 64) ; Ghoochannejhad (Tudgay 64), Church (Harriott 89).

Subs (not used): Hamer, Wood, Fox, Sordell.

Booked: None

Goal: Jackson 90

QPR: Green; Onuoha, Dunne, Hill; Hughes, Jenas, Carroll (Benayoun 81), Traore; Morrison, Hoilett (Keane 59), Doyle (Maiga 69).

Subs (not used): Murphy, Yun, Henry, O'Neil.

Booked: None

Ref: E Ilderton

Att: 17,333 (3,267 QPR)

    Latest Match Reports