Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 05 Oct 13 at 17:00 PM

Charlton 0 Blackpool 0

Gary Haines reports from The Valley

Charlton claimed a first clean sheet of the season as they fought out a scoreless stalemate with Blackpool on Saturday.

In a game short on chances, they held firm at the back to collect a second home point of the week following the rousing comeback against Nottingham Forest on Tuesday.

There was more graft than craft on show from the Addicks as they battled hard against a Blackpool side who had started the season brightly.

And when the dust settled Powell could reflect on a first Championship clean sheet at The Valley since shutting out Peterborough United 2-0 on November 27th last year.

On the scoresheet that night was Ricardo Fuller, and the striker, now plying his trade for Blackpool, had their clearest opening on the stroke of half-time when his header was saved low by former teammate Ben Hamer.

Charlton’s best effort came via youngster Jordan Cousins, with Matt Gilks turning his powerful effort wide in the second period.

Other than that it was a question of nearly moments on a frustrating afternoon for the home frontline with that X-Factor, that little bit of stardust, sadly lacking.

But as the game continued their solid rearguard efforts mean Blackpool’s shots also diminished, and ultimately ensured they would not lose the game.

Charlton had started the opening period brightly with Dale Stephens twice close in the early stages before the Tangerines started to feel their way into the game.

Stephen Dobbie was a prominent presence in their attacking play lashing one volley over and shooting wide from the edge of the box.

Then came Fuller’s late header  and a deflected Tom Ince free-kick early in the second half was narrowly wide.

Charlton were game, but keeper Gilks was not seriously troubled as the half reached its mid-point.

The keeper was forced in to his first save, when plunging to his left to turn a fierce shot from Cousins round his post while a slip from Lawrie Wilson presented Ince with a late opening, but he fired across goal and wide.

That proved the last serious opening as honours finished even.

In terms of team news Charlton fielded an unchanged line-up for the visit of Blackpool.

With Johnnie Jackson and Yann Kermorgant still sidelined, Powell plumped for an identical line-up and formation to the one that produced a fine performance in the midweek 1-1 draw against Nottingham Forest.

There was a return to the bench for Bradley Pritchard a concussion ruled him out against Forest.

Ben Hamer continued between the posts for the hosts with Lawrie Wilson and Rhoys Wiggins flanking Michael Morrison and Dorian Dervite at the back.

Youngster Jordan Cousins, Mark Gower and Dale Stephens operated just behind Callum Harriott with Simon Church and Marvin Sordell up top.

Pritchard was joined in reserve by Ben Alnwick, Cedric Evina, Dorian Dervite, Andy Hughes, Cameron Stewart and Joe Pigott.

There was a familiar face in the Blackpool side in the shape of Ricardo Fuller, on the back of a successful campaign in SE7 last term.

He led the frontline with Tom Ince and Stephen Dobbie supporting from wide.

A dangerous-looking free-kick was awarded to the hosts inside two minutes with Stephens curling inches over, and the midfielder fired wide from range soon after.

Again the atmosphere inside SE7 was fabulous as the hosts probed early on, but Dobbie went close at the other end when he connected with a Fuller lay-off and volleyed over the bar.

Ince’s effort from the edge of the box looped behind off Morrison and there was a scare in the Addicks box as Dobbie crossed across the face of goal and Neal Bishop pulled the ball back dangerously, but it was hacked clear.

As Blackpool continued to step it up, Dobbie cut inside sharply but Hamer watched his low shot fizz past his right post.

Wilson got across well to divert another Dobbie effort behind while Charlton opened the visitors up seven minutes before the break.

Gower’s precise pass picked out Church on the right of the box and he dummied cleverly before pulling the ball back into the dangerzone. Sadly for the hosts no player had gambled on the far side and Blackpool gleefully cleared.

There was a booking for Kirk Broadfoot as the half headed towards its conclusion.

And right on half-time Hamer plunged to his right to make a diving save from Fuller, the striker connecting with a diving header from a Robinson long throw.

Ince was a whisker away from breaking the deadlock five minutes after the break when his free-kick flicked off the wall and flew inches wide of the right post.

Gower made way for Pritchard 12 minutes in and there was a brave block from Stephens in a mini-scramble in the box.

Despite some neat passages of play, still Charlton were struggling to create anything of substance and a stooping Harriott header dropped well wide on 65 minutes, one of many nearly moments.

After a clever give-and-go, Dobbie’s angled effort was deflected into the side-netting and there was another towering defensive header from Stephens during another visiting break; the midfielder very much replicating Kermorgant’s aerial efforts when not upfield.

Better came from Charlton on 72 minutes as a rasping drive from Cousins was shovelled round the post by Gilks. The keeper tipped Wood’s header at the corner over, but the referee had blown for a foul.

Dan Gosling replaced Isaiah Osbourne 16 minutes from time and Stewart came on for Church soon afterwards.

Ince saw yellow after a late challenge on Pritchard and Gosling fired wide before Fuller left the action to a warm ovation and was replaced by Steven Davies.

Sordell made way for Pigott four minutes from the end but still clear chances eluded the hosts.

And after a mistake from Wilson in the last regulation minute, Ince made good ground on the right but fired across goal and just wide.

Bishop fired high over in added time and despite the last in a catalogue of long throws coming from Jack Robinson at the death, the hosts held firm to seal a point.

Charlton: Hamer; Wilson, Wiggins, Wood, Morrison; Cousins, Stephens, Gower (Pritchard 57); Harriott; Church (Stewart 75), Sordell (Pigott 86).

Subs (not used): Alnwick, Evina, Dervite, Hughes.

Blackpool: Gilks; Cathcart, Robinson, Broadfoot, McKenzie, Bishop, Basham, Osbourne (Gosling 75); Ince, Dobbie (Barkhuizen 83); Fuller (Davies 80).

Subs (not used): Orr, Martinez, Grant, Chopra.

Booked: Broadfoot 39 (foul on Sordell), Ince 77 (foul on Pritchard)

Referee: K Hill

Att: 15,847 (793 Blackpool)

    Latest Match Reports