Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 28 Sep 13 at 17:00 PM

Burnley 3 Charlton 0

Gary Haines reports from Turf Moor

Charlton slipped to a third successive Championship defeat as in-form Burnley continued their fine start to the season.

Goals either side of the break from strike duo Danny Ings and Sam Vokes paved the way for the latest Clarets win with Vokes smashing home a third late on for the exclamation point.  

Free-scoring Ings grabbed the opening goal of the game eight minutes before interval.

He timed his run into the box to perfection to volley home a terrific cross from overlapping right-back Kieran Trippier for his 10th goal of the season.

Vokes then took his seasonal tally to five on 67 minutes with a fine clipped finish.

Charlton, who had contained the Clarets up to their opener, pressed on in search of a way back into it, but it was Burnley who were dangerous on the break and they went close to a third when Ings headed against the bar.

And Vokes did add gloss three minutes from time, talking advantage of some poor marking at a corner and smashing home a superb volley to make it a seasonal half dozen.

The focus of a feature for the night’s Football League Show, the Clarets were anything but box office before taking the lead.

The in-form hosts were largely stifled by the Addicks in a low-key opening period which would have suited visiting boss Chris Powell down to the ground – up until the deadlock was broken eight minutes before the break.

Indeed, home keeper Tom Heaton’s gloves were a tad warmer – lukewarm rather than cold - having saved a header from Simon Church and crucially claimed a dangerous low free-kick from Mark Gower with the Welsh striker lurking in close attendance.

Good blocks from Michael Morrison and Dorian Dervite dashed Burnley’s hopes of progress and ensured a quiet opening for Hamer, before he was beaten on 37 minutes as Ings volleyed home.

It was a goal pretty much out of nothing, and netted at exactly the same time as Millwall’s opening goal a week earlier. So with Plan A designed to contain and spring, the Addicks were forced to regroup in a bid to get back in the game.

And in the second period interval sub Callum Harriott fired just over in the early stages but Burnley pulled clear midway through the half as Vokes finished off a fine move with an impudent finish.

Church twice went close after that, the latter when his flicked header at a free-kick was saved by Heaton.

But Burnley almost added a third after a rapid raid down the left with Ings heading against the bar.

After Yann Kermorgant entered the fray as the visitors sought a way back into the game, it was the Clarets that claimed a third three minutes from the end.

Vokes was on target again with a comprehensive volley from a corner, and the Londoners were finally down and out.

The significant team news for the Londoners was the absence of skipper Johnnie Jackson, after he picked up a niggle in training in the build-up to the game.

Morrison inherited the skipper’s armband with Kermorgant back on the bench following his recent ankle injury.

In a new 4-5-1 system there was also a first Championship start for former Burnley loanee Cameron Stewart and Jordan Cousins, who started the abandoned game against Doncaster Rovers, made his full debut.

There was also a return to midfield for Mark Gower with Bradley Pritchard switching to wide right and Church was the sole striker.

Lawrie Wilson and Rhoys Wiggins reverted back to full-back berths as Richard Wood dropped to the bench and Morrison and Dervite were the preferred central defensive partnership.

Chris Solly and Leon Cort and were still missing for the Addicks who again fielded Ben Hamer in goal.

Wilson and Wiggins flanked Dervite and Morrison at the back with Cousins, Gower and Dale Stephens the central midfield trio.

Stewart and Pritchard supplied the width with Church up top.

Reserve keeper Ben Alnwick joined Wood, Cedric Evina, Callum Harriott and Marvin Sordell on the bench. Kermorgant was also back after injury with Andy Hughes completing the seven.

The in-form hosts, lying third at the start of play after Nottingham Forest’s lunchtime win, fielded dangermen Ings and Vokes up front.

Michael Kightly and former Huddersfield Town man Scott Arfield supplied the width while Kieran Trippier, sent off in this fixture last season, was right-back.

On a bright afternoon in Lancashire 11 minutes passed before the first shot in earnest, a twisting effort from 20 yards from Vokes which flew well wide.

Wiggins took aim from range but was well wide for the visitors while a neat back-heel from Ings picked out a surging Dean Marney for the Clarets but Morrison advanced to make a fine block challenge.

Church’s header from a Stewart cross was pouched low by Tom Heaton and the Addicks were not only nullifying the hosts, but creating some positive passages themselves as Cousins buzzed about in midfield.

Gower’s low free-kick from the right junction of the box was saved low by Heaton as Church loitered with intent.

Back at the other end Dervite matched Morrison’s earlier desire to block a shot from Ings, after the striker was played into clear daylight.

After a good run and cross from Trippier just past the half hour mark Vokes flicked a header across goal and wide.

And it was Trippier that supplied the ammunition for the opening goal of the afternoon on 37 minutes.

The right-back was released down the right and his fine cross was expertly volleyed home by the fast-arriving Ings giving Ben Hamer no chance.

The natives rejoiced on an afternoon where there heroes had, to that point, failed to hit the heights, and Powell and co were up against it. 

There was a lengthy delay shortly after the restart when the assistant referee on the far side was unable to continue offering fourth official Mr Stockbridge an unplanned excursion.

Scorer Ings also used the stoppage to change his shorts and Trippier’s free-kick from way out flew wide at the end of the half.

There was a change at the break as Harriott replaced Pritchard and the newcomer quickly combined with Wilson on the right before collecting the half-cleared cross and firing just over.

Wilson was booked for a foul on Kightly six minutes in before Burnley, who were raising a little, replaced Kightly with former West Ham man Junior Stanislas on the hour.

As Marvin Sordell waited on the touchline, the hosts gave themselves breathing space with a move of clinical precision.

Quickly breaking up an Addicks raid, in which Cousins and Stewart collided, the ball was switched forward to Marney and his defence-splitter released Vokes on the left.

In on goal, the striker was confronted by Hamer but produced an exquisite flicked finish into the bottom corner.

Gower made way for Sordell before the restart while Church stooped to head a Wilson corner across goal and wide of the right uptight soon afterwards.

After a good move down the left Harriott’s teasing low cross just eluded a stretching Church in the middle

Marney was booked after catching Wiggins and from the fiercely curling Stephens free-kick Church’s glancing header was straight at Heaton. Either side and the visitors would have been back in it.

Burnley bodies were on the line soon afterwards as Dervite and then Harriott saw well-struck shots blocked.

The latter left Ings poleaxed, and as Charlton continued play, Church stumbled over the grounded striker, after which play was halted.

Shortly after he returned to the pitch Ings almost bagged a third.

Again Burnley broke from deep with Ben Mee surging down the left and crossing for the striker whose header clipped the bar with Hamer beaten.

Sordell sneaked away from his man before volleying a Harriott cross wide, and Kermorgant came on for Stewart seven minutes from time.

But it was 3-0 three minutes from time as Vokes claimed his second, connecting with a Stanislas corner and smashing home a volley.

The game was up by this stage for the Londoners, who now find themselves in a spot of bother at the wrong end of the table ahead of a busy week.

As ever the Championship fixtures come thick and fast and with Forest due in SE7 on Tuesday Powell will be hoping for a response from his side – and fast.

Charlton: Hamer; Wilson, Wiggins, Morrison, Dervite; Pritchard (Harriott 46), Cousins, Gower (Sordell 67), Stephens, Stewart (Kermorgant 83); Church.

Subs (not used): Alnwick, Evina, Wood, Hughes.

Booked: Wilson 51 (foul on Kightly)

Burnley: Heaton; Trippier, Mee, Shackell, Duff; Arfield (Treacy 85), Jones (Edgar 90), Marney, Kightly (Stanislas 60); Ings, Vokes.

Subs (not used): Cisak, Lafferty, Stock, O’Neill.

Goals: Ings 37, Vokes 67, 87

Booked: Marney 73 (foul on Wiggins)

Referee: D Coote

Att: 10,645 (313 Charlton)

    Latest Match Reports