Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sun 11 Nov 12 at 17:15 PM

Bristol 0 Charlton 2

Gary Haines reports from Ashton Gate

Danny Haynes netted against his former club as impressive Charlton saw off Bristol City 2-0 on Sunday.

The striker, who notched eight goals in 54 games for the club in a year-and-a-half spell at Ashton Gate poached the opener on 20 minutes after Dale Stephens was denied twice by the woodwork.

And it laid the foundation for the Addicks to complete back-to-back wins in the Championship for the first time since their return to the second tier.

Michael Morrison’s first goal of the season then heaped further misery on under-pressure Robins boss Derek McInnes

The defender showed fine composure to gather a hooked centre from Kerkar after a slip at the back, and drilled the ball into the back of the net three minutes before the hour mark.

It was also a fifth game without defeat away from The Valley for Chris Powell’s road warriors and lifted them to 16th in the table.

You have to go back to 2007 for the last time the Addicks won twice on the trot in the same Championship season and there was an omen on Tuesday with the incredible 5-4 win against Cardiff City.

A win against the Welsh side in 2007/08 triggered that last successive sequence, and for the first time for quite some time Chris Powell and co can start to look upwards.

The Addicks claimed a 20th-minute lead through Haynes’ second goal in as many matches.

The speedy striker was well-placed to turn the ball home after Dale Stephens’ rasping drive clattered against both uprights and out.

And he almost gobbled up a second moments later after collecting a Bradley Pritchard nod-down and half-volleying a shot against the outside of the right post.

The Addicks were in control of most of the opening period against their struggling hosts as Haynes and Rob Hulse’s movement up front caused problems.

But City, for whom Sam Baldock shot straight at Ben Hamer from close range in their best opening period effort, were still in the game going into the final 45 minutes.

But they were up against an even steeper task shortly before the hour mark as Morrison doubled Charlton’s lead.

Tom Heaton had moments earlier tipped a clipped effort from Stephens over the bar, but he was left hopelessly exposed when a Kerkar centre eventually reached Morrison. And the big defender, back in his favoured central defensive berth, dug the ball out of his feet and buried a low shot for his sixth goal in Addicks colours.

City rarely threatened after that, although Chris Solly, having made one supreme block from Martyn Woolford at 0-0, cleared from close to the goalline in a mini-scramble to ensure the clean sheet.

In terms of team news Powell made one change for Sunday’s trip to Ashton Gate.

New loan signing Dan Seaborne was plunged straight into the starting line-up for the game against troubled City, who had lost their previous six games going into the fixture.

And fit-again striker Ricardo Fuller was back on the bench for the visitors after his recent hamstring injury.

Seaborne, snapped up from Southampton on Friday morning for a month, slotted in at left-back, offering much needed natural width to the Addicks who were already without the injured Rhoys Wiggins and Cedric Evina on that side.

It allowed Solly to move to his preferred right-back berth and Morrison to return to the heart of the defence.

Dorian Dervite was the man to make way with Haynes continuing up front alongside one of his former clubs.

Two-goal midweek star, Johnnie Jackson was in central midfield once more having reached a half century of goals in his career against Cardiff.

Boyhood Bristol City supporter Ben Hamer was between the posts for the visitors, seeking back to back wins in the same Championship season for the first time since 2007.

Solly and Seaborne flanked Morrison and Leon Cort at the back with Dale Stephens, Jackson, Salim Kerkar and Bradley Pritchard in midfield.

Rob Hulse, with two goals in as many games, was up front alongside Haynes with the Addicks, four games unbeaten on the road, aimed to continue that run.

There was a place on the bench for Fuller and he was joined there by Dervite, Matt Taylor, Danny Hollands, Danny Green and Bradley Wright-Phillips.

The hosts were without injured duo Stephen McManus and Cole Skuse but boasted the dangerous Sam Baldock up front.

Albert Adomah was a wing threat with Martyn Woolford another offensive outlet either side of engine-roomers Neil Kilkenny and Marvin Elliott.

Members of the armed forces led out the teams for a game being played on Remembrance Sunday and the match kicked off after an immaculately observed minute’s silence.

Great work from Solly rescued Charlton after the hosts went close with the first shot of the afternoon 10 minutes in.

The speedy Adomah tore down the right and his low cross flashed across the face of with Woolford talking aim before his well-struck shot was blocked by the never-say-die defender.

A quick break from Haynes moments later saw him scamper clear and cut inside before picking out Kerkar to his left.

The midfielder let fly with a first-time shot but Tom Heaton tipped the ball wide of his left hand effort. It might have been going wide but the former Cardiff keeper was taking no chances, and two subsequent corners came to nothing.

A curling Kerkar cross sailed onto the roof of the net for the visitors, who were playing the better football in the early stages, and Baldock was wayward from range.

The Addicks drew first blood on 20 minutes, however, as Haynes struck.

It came after a fine passing spell for the visitors and culminated in Hulse’s shot being blocked out to Stephens.

The midfielder was desperately unlucky not to register as his crisp low drive clattered against the left upright, rolled along the goalline and came off the right post before Haynes drove the loose ball in the back of the net.

The Addicks rejoiced and Haynes almost had another three minutes later, gathering a head down from Pritchard in space on the right side of the box but shooting against the outside of the right post.

After a brisk exchange between Baldock and Adomah. Hamer dashed off his line to smother at the foot of the latter.

Then, when the visitors surrendered possession upfield, Bristol broke and Woolford picked out Baldock who could only shoot straight at Hamer.

Two minutes after the half hour mark a deep corner from Stephens was headed back in by Cort with Hulse scooping an effort – perhaps courtesy of a deflection – over the bar.

Elliott leapt to head a cross wide with Baldock better placed behind him while a quick Addicks break saw Pritchard sent sprawling by Matthew Briggs.

The left-back can count himself very lucky to escape with just a lecture and from the free-kick Morrison headed down and Cort’s shot on the turn was deflected behind for a corner.

Solly left Briggs for dead soon afterwards but his cross was hoisted high and wide with Hulse primed to pull the trigger beyond him.

A couple of good claims from Hamer ended the half and the boos echoed around Ashton Gate as the home side left the field before the break.

The flag stayed down as Kerkar’s diagonal sent Haynes away three minutes after the restart, and the striker took a touch before blazing well wide from range.

Baldock crashed a shot high over the bar after collecting a half-headed cross when well placed on the edge of the box.

Stephens then took the ball on after a Pritchard burst and his impudent chip was flipped over the bar – but the corner, three minutes before the hour mark, led to Charlton’s second goal.

After the flag-kick was headed clear, Stephens picked out Kerkar and when Taylor failed to deal with the cross back into the dangerzone, Morrison showed great feet to control the ball and drill home his first goal since his spectacular strike against Stevenage last season.

McInnes responded immediately buy sending on Jon Stead and Seven Davies for Taylor and the disappointing Baldock.

Pritchard’s effort from range was held low by Heaton and Haynes almost got in after some dozy defending from the hosts.

Stephen Pearson was Bristol’s third change as he replaced Kilkenny while there was minor attention for Hamer after another brave contribution from the keeper.

Adomah saw a deflected drive fly across goal and wide as the Robins enjoyed a good spell and Seaborne and Morrison both got in important defensive contributions before Stead curled wide on 78 minutes.

Dervite replaced Haynes before the restart with Pritchard defending well inside his own six-yard-box to usher out an opposition attacker.

Jackson’s free-kick from just outside the box flew inches wide and Davies was also off target with a dead-ball from a touch further out at the other end.

Solly rescued the Addicks again, five minutes from time, after Hamer could only parry the ball out in a mini scramble, and Charlton switched the tireless Hulse with Fuller for the closing stages.

After the midweek twist in the tale against Cardiff, an extra four minutes at the end would have been met with a degree of anxiety.

Taylor replaced Kerkar in the second of those, but the game was long up for City who left the pitch to even louder boos.

Among that noise were sizable cheers from the gleeful four-figure Addicks faithful who could reflect on a great afternoon.

Charlton: Hamer; Solly, Seaborne, Morrison, Cort; Pritchard, Stephens, Jackson, Kerkar (Taylor 90); Haynes (Dervite 78), Hulse (Fuller 86).

Subs (not used): Button, Hollands, Green, Wright-Phillips.

Goals: Haynes 20, Morrison 57

Bristol City: Heaton; Foster, Briggs, Fontaine, Wilson; Adomah, Elliott, Kilkenny (Pearson 70), Woolford; Baldock (Davies 57), Taylor (Stead 57).

Subs (not used): Gerken, Carey, Bryan, Anderson.

Referee: P Gibbs

Att: 13,009 (1,017 Charlton)

    Latest Match Reports