Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 23 Feb 13 at 16:45 PM

Charlton 0 Nottingham Forest 2

Gary Haines reports from The Valley

Yann Kermorgant saw red as Charlton suffered a home defeat against Nottingham Forest on Saturday.

The big Frenchman was banished eight minutes before the break for kicking out at former Addick Greg Halford and the visitors cashed in on their man advantage after the break.

In-form midfielder Radoslaw Majewski grabbed the opener eight minutes after the restart and Henri Lansbury turned home a second on the hour.

The shorthanded Addicks had little in response and in truth the scoreline might have been bigger against a side brimming in confidence under new manager Billy Davies.

The Scot is in his second spell at the helm of the club and matched the 2-0 win at The Valley he secured in his first match of his first spell in charge.

There’s little doubt where the turning point in this game came as Kermorgant’s ill-judged decision cost his side dear.

Having performed heroically in midweek at Leicester City where he belied all kinds of hostility against his former club, his reacted rashly to Halford shielding the ball away from him and that would be his final act on this afternoon.

Referee Madley certainly took his time, after speaking to both assistants and with his departure went any chance of the hosts making inroads to repair their patchy recent home form.
In Majewski, Forest have a player at the top of his game and he might have had a couple of goals before slaloming through to somehow slide home his fourth goal in a week.

He had hit three in the midweek 6-1 win against Huddersfield Town and also on the scoresheet on both occasions was midfielder Lansbury who followed up after Hamer could only spill a shot from Simon Cox with the Addicks claiming a foul on Dorian Dervite in the build-up.

The hosts dug in after that as well as riding their luck but, a man down against a slick away contingent, they could make no attacking impression.

After a scrappy opening it was Forest that spurned the game’s first clear opening as the in-form Majewski pounced on a half-clearance on the edge of the box but shot over the bar.

The visitors looked the side most likely on a difficult surface with Majewski almost single-handedly troubling the shot-metre as Darlow was scarcely tested in the away goal.

Hamer dealt with all aimed at him with little fuss but the Addicks cause was given a sizable blow as Kermorgant saw red eight minutes before the break.

After an Addicks break ended with the ball flying out of play on the far side, the Frenchman clashed angrily with Halford and after seeking counsel from both his assistants, referee Madley dished out a red card to reduce the Addicks to 10 men.

The hosts saw out the closing stages of the half but were breached eight minutes after the restart as Majewski grabbed his fourth goal of the week.

The Pole meandered in from the left and somehow defied a clutch of red shirts before squeezing his low shot beyond Hamer and into the bottom corner.

Powell introduced Danny Haynes in a bid to perk up his attacking options, but it was the visitors who doubled their lead in the hour.

The manager will possibly question how play was allowed to continue after Henderson’s aerial challenge grounded Dervite, but when Hamer could not hold Cox’s low shot, Lansbury closed in and gleefully turned home the rebound.

Forest flooded forward after that and after a terrific Andy Reid cross caused all kinds of problems, Elliott Ward hooked the ball against the post.

Majewski blasted over after a slick break and Darius Henderson smashed an angled shot against the same post as Ward before Hamer saved low to deny Lansbury a second.

One feared the worst in the final half hour, but somehow the score remained at two.

And, after the late introduction of debutant Jonathan Obika, Charlton’s best moment came in added time as skipper Johnnie Jackson curled a free-kick just over.

It left Karl Darlow to reflect on a game when he did not have a shot to save, but there is little doubt at the where the turning point came on this afternoon.

In terms of team news, Powell named an unchanged line-up for the home match against Forest with new loan signing Obika named on the bench.

The striker was snapped up from Tottenham Hotspur on Friday afternoon and went straight into the squad.

After the terrific midweek success at Leicester City, Powell resisted the temptation to make changes so a 4-5-1 formation took to the field against a free-scoring Reds side under new manager Davies.

Kermorgant again ploughed a lone furrow up front for the Addicks with Scott Wagstaff and Bradley Pritchard the wide outlets and Dervite in a holding midfield role.

Left-back Rhoys Wiggins made his first Valley start since September 14th, having returned to the starting XI at King Power Stadium.

Ben Hamer was again between the posts for the home side with Chris Solly and Wiggins flanking Leon Cort and Michael Morrison at the back.

Dervite, skipper Jackson and Dale Stephens were in the engine-room with Wagstaff and Pritchard out wide and Kermorgant down the middle.

Midweek goal hero Danny Haynes was on the bench having netted the spectacular winner in the East Midlands and he was joined there by new loan signing Obika.

Also in reserve was David Button, Matt Taylor, Cedric Evina, Lawrie Wilson and Ricardo Fuller.

Forest thumped Huddersfield 6-1 in midweek and Davies made one change from that evening with striker Dexter Blackstock making way for Darius Henderson.

Henderson was partnered by Cox with midweek hat-trick scorer Majewski operating in midfield.

There were two former Charlton players in their line-up in the shape of Halford and former Valley skipper Reid while the dangerous Billy Sharp was a threat from the bench.

With the much-talked-about Valley pitch containing added sand to make conditions even trickier underfoot

The first shot in anger came from Forest, wearing bright blue away shirts, and man of the moment Majewski was well wide from range.

The visitors were comfortable in possession straight off the bat but in the main it was pretty scrappy in the opening stages.

Hamer saved smartly from Cox, although the striker was in an offside position, but the clearest chance to date fell to Majewski midway through the half.

After Henderson, under pressure from Cort, headed back, the ball was only half cleared to the Pole who blasted a presentable opportunity over the bar.

Forest were starting to gain a bit of momentum at this stage with the Addicks pinned back and unable to break out with any real zest.

Elliott Ward stretched out a leg to foil Wagstaff after the winger sprung on to a clever volleyed pass from Kermorgant.

After a quick Forest break, when Cox looked to handle, play was allowed to continue with Henri Lansbury picking out Majewski whose outside-of-the-boot effort was snared low by Hamer.

As the action switched upfield a flashpoint on the far side led to the sending off of Kermorgant eight minutes before the break.

The Frenchman clashed with Halford close to the touchline after the defender had shielded the ball and appeared to kick out in the aftermath. And after consulting his assistant referee on that side, referee Madley summoned the linesman from the near side of the pitch to get a second opinion.

That opinion was not a great one from the Addicks point of view as Madley strolled back and produced a straight red card.

It was a hammer blow for the home side as Kermorgant trudged across the pitch and down the tunnel and Powell decided against making a change as Wagstaff switched to a role down the middle.

The shorthanded Addicks then carved out an opening five minutes before the break as Wagstaff picked out Pritchard who blasted narrowly wide from range.

Reid found the second tier of the Covered End in the first of two added minutes at the end of the half and Hamer watched a low effort from Adlene Guedioura whiz past his near post.

That was the last action of the half and Powell was far from happy as the teams trudged off, angrily gesticulating at the officials before disappearing from view.

There was a change at the break as Fuller replaced Stephens and after the hosts dealt with a couple of early corners, Guedioura blasted off target from range.

But Forest did take the lead eight minutes in through Majewski.

The midfielder somehow veered into the box from the left and a backtracking Wagstaff could not stop him in his tracks as he prodded a ball beyond Hamer and in.

Powell introduced Haynes for Wagstaff shortly before the hour mark in a bid to try and seize some kind of initiative – but as the clock reached 60 it was Forest who doubled their lead.

Dervite looked like he was upended by Henderson’s strong challenge and was on the pitch as the referee waved play on – and Forest cashed in.

Cox let fly from the right and when Hamer spilled his shot there was Lansbury to snaffle up the rebound and send the fans behind the goal into ecstasy.

It might have been 3-0 soon afterwards as a wicked cross from Reid was turned against the post by Ward in the most unorthodox fashion possible.

The visitors were clearly sensing blood and Hamer had to plunge to his right to tip a drive form Lansbury round the post before Henderson headed over a Reid deep centre on the stretch.

Haynes had appeals for hand-ball turned down as a corner arrived instead, and Forest then broke devastatingly on 71 minutes when it could have been three.

Cohen overlapped on the left and his pull-back was touched back by Henderson for Majewski to blast over the bar.

The left upright was rattled for a second time two minutes later as a thunderous drive from Henderson crashed against the post, and Hamer held the rebound from Cohen.

Lewis McGugan replaced Lansbury 14 minutes from time and Hamer saved low from Cox, his last act before making way for Billy Sharp.

As the Valley started to empty, those glancing backwards would have seen Reid drag a shot well wide before he was replaced by Jonathan Greening to a warm ovation from all sides of the ground.

There was a late debut for Obika at the start of added time, of which there was four minutes and Halford was booked after cynically sending Fuller flying in the third.

Jackson let fly with the free-kick but it scraped the bar on its way over and with that the game was up and a disappointing defeat was confirmed.

Charlton: Hamer; Solly, Wiggins, Cort, Morrison; Pritchard (Obika 90), Dervite, Stephens (Fuller 46), Jackson, Wagstaff (Haynes 59); Kermorgant.

Subs (not used): Button, Taylor, Evina, Wilson.

Sent off: Kermorgant 37

Nottingham Forest: Darlow; Jara, Cohen, Halford, Ward; Lansbury (McGugan 76), Guedioura, Reid (Greening 85), Majewski; Henderson, Cox (Sharp 80).

Subs (not used): Evtimov, Collins, Moussi, Blackstock.

Booked: Halford 90 (foul on Fuller)

Goals: Majewski 53, Lansbury 60

Referee: A Madley

Att: 18,697

    Latest Match Reports